As a small to medium sized business owner, you may not understand all the parts of an online store. It can seem intimidating but it really isn’t.
The E-commerce Process
- You need an online shopping cart program.
- You need to secure everything from the time customers enter your site through your “Thank you for your order” acknowledgement and receipt.
- You need a way to accept payments from a credit card.
- You need to know what you sold, when you sold it, to whom you sold it, for how much (including taxes and shipping) and how that relates to inventory.
- You need to have a reliable and efficient mechanism for handling returns and customer complaints.
- You should always declare what information you gather and what you do with it as well as how you protect it.
- And you need to have a way to ensure and measure customer satisfaction with your service and product. Believe it or not – the service is THE MOST IMPORTANT aspect to a successful online business.
Do everything you can to make sure the customer has the means to:
- Navigate quickly – both to your products and to their cart
- Buy the products – an Add to Basket button right next to the product is important, and a way to quickly indicate quantity
- Check status – that Basket Contents button is all important. Customers should be able to review what they’ve selected at any time. Sub-totals, with or without taxes and shipping, are important as well.
- Secure Check out – so customers can finish the purchase securely. And always, always, always, make sure they can finish the purchase whenever they want to. In other words, put a Checkout button on every page!
- Select shipping – make sure that when customers do check out they can select the shipping method and tell them clearly what it will cost.
How the cart actually works and the process for checkout is what makes the customer’s experience positive or negative. The most successful online transactions are those that allow the customer to easily choose what they want, pay for it in a quick and efficient manner, and insures that the transaction is secure – and, is indeed, secure.
It may sound overwhelming but with a little planning SecureSiteCommerce.ComPany can implement a shopping cart for you that’s functional, quick, efficient, secure, and leaves your customers happy because they got in, found what they were after, bought it, and felt it was secure, fair and fast.
- Laying the Foundation – Secure, reliable hosting for your online store
- Designing the Store – Creating an attractive, easy to use store
- Getting Paid – Taking payments from your customers
- Keeping it Secure – Making sure transactions are secure
- Promoting your Store – Getting the word out about your e-commerce website